Here you can find answers to Dilectio’s most frequently asked questions. Can’t find the information you are looking for? Contact Dilectio
1. Where can I buy your cheese from?
You can purchase DILECTIO cheese from our Stockists here.
2. Are your cheeses aged? What does that mean?
Many DILECTIO plant-based cheeses are aged. Aging is a process that is important for flavour and texture development. Depending on the variety, the aging process can take a number of weeks. During aging, cheeses are regularly checked for quality and flavour.
3. How different is Vegan cheese making compared to traditional cheese making?
Cheese Making is part art and part science. Generations spanning many hundreds of years have honed the art of cheesemaking. Being exclusively plant-based we are privileged to be able to retain many traditional artisan cheesemaking techniques, adapting them for a new generation of connoisseurs.
4. Are all your cheeses Vegan?
Yes, they always have been and they always will be.
5. Are your cheeses suitable for dairy-free or lactose intolerant consumers?
Lactose is not present in our plant-based cheese.
6. What are the ingredients of your cheeses?
DILECTIO cheeses use cashew nuts as their base ingredient. The full listing of products and ingredients is on our products page here: https://dilectio.com.au/products/
7. My cheese contains Natural Flavours. What is that exactly?
We source natural flavours from various specialist makers. These are extracted, distilled, or similarly derived from plants. Whilst the exact composition of the flavour is protected by the maker, we validate that it is plant-based, natural, without any animal component, and without any known allergens.
8. How do you get the blue veins inside the Dilectio Blue Cheese?
The veins inside blue cheese come from the Penicillium Roqueforti and are developed during the aging process. This is what gives DILETIO Blue Cheese the classic Blue cheese taste.
9. What is the Shelf Life of your cheese?
7 Weeks Shelf Life: Camembert, Ash Brie, Truffle Brie
3 Months Shelf Life: Blue Cheese
5 Months Shelf Life: Chèvre, Smoked Cheese
6 Months Shelf Life: Goat Style Feta
Consume within 3 days of opening. Remember to keep refrigerated below 5°C.
10. How can I keep DILECTIO cheese the freshest, once opened?
It is recommended to consume your DILECTIO cheese within 3 days of opening. When storing the cheese, keep it in the original packaging, under 5 Degrees C. Exposure to air and moisture can cause mould to grow on exposed surfaces.
11. My Cheese grew extra mould. What should I do?
Our cheeses are moulded in a traditional process, the same as dairy cheese. Additional mould is most likely to grow on the cut surfaces of your cheese due to humidity. Your cheese should be consumed within 3 days of opening. To minimise additional mould growth during this time, keep your cheese wrapped in the original wrapping, and stored below 5°C.
12. Can I freeze Dilectio cheese?
We don’t recommend it as it would change the texture of your cheese.
13. Do the Blue, Camembert, Chèvre and Smoked cheeses melt?
The cheeses will soften under heat, but not melt like dairy cheese due to their cashew base. The Blue cheese does blend well into a sauce when exposed to air, warmer temperatures, and humidity.
14. I am allergic to Penicillin. Is it safe to eat cheese containing Penicillium?
Check with your own health professional first. The following is not medical advice. Penicillium Candidum is in our Camembert. Penicillium Roqueforte is in our Blue cheese. The antibiotic penicillin is extracted from the fungus Penicillium chrysogenum. An allergy to the antibiotic penicillin does not necessarily imply an allergy to cheeses made using Penicillium.
15. I am pregnant and am aware of the warnings around eating soft moulded cheese. Does the same risk apply to similar non-dairy cheeses?
- Please consult with your doctor. More research is needed into whether plant-based moulded cheeses are safe for pregnant women to consume.